Meditation is easy to learn and do.
Establishing a daily practice of meditation is one of the best things you can do for your heart, body, and mind. It is something that you CAN do.
It is important to know that meditation is not just for spiritual development. It is for EVERYONE!
It is shown that meditation can change your life in so many ways. Some of the many benefits include stress and anxiety reduction, mental focus, peace of mind, emotional well-being, support for addiction recovery, and intuitive trust and self-awareness.
Meditation is THE secret to success.
Some of the most famous and successful people have a meditation practice, including Oprah, Bill Gates, Arianna Huffington (who also promotes meditation in the workspace), Katy Perry, Ellen Degeneres, Russell Brand, Jennifer Lopez, and Tom Brady. To name a few.
YOU can Meditate
Too many people try meditation once, want instant success, and walk away disappointed and feel like they cannot meditate. There is a preconceived idea that you should be able to sit for long periods with no thought.
The truth about meditating!
- It is a practice! Meditation is a life-long practice. There will be good and bad days with your meditation practice. The key is not to give up just because you have a challenging meditation.
- Start slow and simple! To meditate for 30 mins or longer may not happen the first time you sit and meditate. Try not to shoot for the moon the first time you sit. Start with 5-10 minutes a day and build up to a longer practice as you get more comfortable with meditation.
- Get the wiggles out of your system. In the beginning, it will take you some time for your body to adjust to sitting still. That is OK. Let your body settle before you dive into your meditation.
- It is OK to have thoughts. One of the misconceptions of meditation is that you are to be void of thought. This is not true. In fact, meditation has been known to bring in powerful inspiration! The key to meditation is to allow your thoughts to come and go rather than over-focus on certain ones.
- YOU can do meditation anywhere, anytime. All you need is a place to sit. Need a break at work to gather your thoughts, close the door and sit for a few minutes to breathe and quiet your thoughts.
How to get started
- Agree to commit to practice for at least two weeks before deciding this is not for you.
- Find 5-10 minutes during a part of your day you can make time to be undisturbed. Morning, noon, and night. It doesn’t matter. That is not a lot of time to ask for. You are not too busy to find it. If you watch TV and spend any time on social media, you can have the time to meditate. No More Excuses.
- Find some soft, deep meditation music that works for you. Silence can also be the most powerful way to meditate.
- When you sit to meditate, you can sit with your legs crossed in a meditation pose or sit in a chair with your feet flat on the floor. Allow your back to be in a straight and upright position. DO NOT lie down. This will promote sleeping, and that is not the intention of meditation.
- When you’re seated in a comfortable and supported position, close your eyes and begin to become aware of your breathing. Focus on your breath is the key to meditation. Allow your breath to be slow, methodical, and deep. Each breath should deeply fill the body.
- Follow your breath. If you find your mind has wandered, bring your mind back to your breath—this the KEY to developing a good meditation practice.
- Allow yourself to sit for as long as you can as you develop. You might be surprised by how quickly you can lengthen the time of your meditation.
After a good meditation, you may feel more centered, at peace, and more focused in your daily life. Some people have experienced less anxiety and more patience in their day. The effects of meditation can be subtle in the beginning. Keeping a journal of your daily meditation practice can help you learn about how meditation benefits your life.
Meditation is not about success! Every meditation is its own individual experience. It is not something to perfect; it is simply a practice.
Keep it Simple!
And have fun!
What are you waiting for?! Get to it!
Are You Ready to Create a More Graceful Life?
Register for my mailing list, below, and receive a free MP3 meditation designed to invite more grace in your life!